Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Virtuous Woman

I have been meditating on Proverbs 31 for the past week. Right now I am balancing being a wife, mother, and homemaker with homeschooling, being a business owner, serving at church, and on and on. Throw in a newborn, gardening, weekly errands, and coffee with a friend (if I'm lucky) and I find that I have little to no time for me.

But reading Prov 31 reminds me of the kind of woman I want to be.

That instead of getting overwhelmed I need to be thankful. When I feel like I don't have enough hours in the day I need to realize that instead of staying in bed until 7:30am (even though my older 2 kids are up by 7am) I could always get up at 5:30am with my husband and gain an extra 2 hours of quiet time to spend however I choose (but I am sooo tired these days!).

So she is my goal, this virtuous woman. Its always good to have goals, right? :) The passage is below. Enjoy!

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Who can find a vurtuous and capable wife?
She is more precious than rubies.
Her husband can trust her,
and she will greatly enrich his life.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

She finds wool and flax
and busily spins it.
She is like a merchant's ship,
bringing her food from afar.
She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast
for her household
and plan the day's work for her servant girls.

She goes to inspect a field and buys it;
with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She is energetic and strong,
a hard worker.
She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
her lamp burns late into the night.

Her hands are busy spinning thread,
her fingers twisting fiber.
She extends a helping hand to the poor
and opens her arms to the needy.
She has no fear of winter for her household,
for everyone has warm clothes.

She makes her own bedspreads.
She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
Her husband is well known at the city gates,
where he sits with the other civic leaders.
She makes belted linen garments
and sashes to sell to the merchants.

She is clothed with strength and dignity,
and she laughs without fear of the future.
When she speaks, her words are wise,
and she gives instructions with kindness.
She carefully watches everything in her household
and suffers nothing from laziness.

Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her;
There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!

Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised.
Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise
.


Proverbs 31 NLT

2 comments:

Jessica McCoy said...

I happened to read this a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Thank you very much for the reminder! I needed it today!

Devina said...

I just started reading this book called "Passionate Housewives Desperate For God" by Stacy McDonald and Jennie Chancey. It is fabulous! You should check it out.